[TowerTalk] Connectors in rotor cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connectors in rotor cable
From: k3ft@erols.com (k3ft@erols.com)
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 17:56:29 -0500
Personally, having been at the mercy of the elements in outdoor cable
installs, I've learned (the hard way) that a weatherproofed connector is
worth the price of peace of mind and the ease of disconnect/connect while
maintaining circuit integrity.

My favorites are the cinch jones/amphenol multi pin types. They are
somewhat bulky (relatively speaking) but they lock together, have various
capacities for voltage/current and allow lowresistance connections.

I got mine (back when I was doing this work) from local outlets, but Amp
and others will happily send you a catalog. In fact, Amp and others can
be found on the net.

The mylar types (and like connectors) are NOT made for outdoor
applications and will suffer from the effects of sun, wind, rain,
pollution etc. Plus the resistance of the pins can increase which makes
life *very* interesting! (Especially at 3am when it's snowing and the
damn rotator wont run well! HEH)

It's worth spending afew bucks more to not have that AWW )(*&() feeling
when Murphy visits (And he will! )

73

Chuck K3FT