[TowerTalk] Connectors and the weatherproofing

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connectors and the weatherproofing
From: (
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 01:29:12 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-24 00:33:14 EST, (Terry Dunlap)

> >> With all due respect, it sounds like you would need about an hour to get
>  >the
>  >>  thing apart.
>  >>
>  >     Au contraire; it only takes a couple of seconds with your
>  >razor knife to slice it open and reveal 'like new' hardware.
>  I think I agree with Ed.  You're installing a "quick connect" and then
>  destroying the "quick"
      You lost me.  What 'quick connect' do you mean and how did I destroy

     My post described the correct method to weatherproof an electrical joint
(coax, rotator, etc.).  A typical ham scenario is when using a 'barrel'
(double female) between two PL259s.  You still need to follow the method I
described in order to have a reliable, long lasting joint.

    The tape-butyl rubber-tape method I described only takes a couple of
seconds to open with a razor knife.  That's not 'quick' enough?

     That's the way that professionals do it.  Feel free to use any amateur
methods you feel are appropriate.

73,  Steve  K7LXC