[TowerTalk] Connectors and the weatherproofing -Reply

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connectors and the weatherproofing -Reply
From: (Scotty Neustadter)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 18:06:45 -0600
James E Brown wrote:
> I care about having them come apart easily.  The 3M tape/butyl rubber
> connection does come apart easily with a single razor knife cut, and it is
> nice to have clean, reusable connectors on the end of the lines.
> Be wary of the shrink-wrap stuff on RF connectors.  I have read (but
> have no personal experience with) that some of this is not RF-friendly,
> and causes strange SWR bumps.  Maybe someone else on the reflector
> can go into more detail.
> Jim   W4LC
> wrote:
> >  > In a message dated 97-03-23 21:19:15 EST,
> writes:
> >  > > With all due respect, it sounds like you would need about an hour
> to get
> > the
> > >  thing apart.
> Hey, who worries about taking the joint APART??  I just hopt that it stays
> TOGETHER with no water incursion!  Hey, I'll cut the coax if need be!
> By the way, I have found some "shrink wrap" type of black material to
> cover connections with that you heat with a torch...  Some guys
> installing a comercial satellite installation gave me a couple of pieces... It
> seals like the original insulation on the coax and looks totally
> waterproof...  I hope someone knows the brand or source for this stuff..
> Chuck, KE5FI
Two solutions.
The first is RTV GE part number 142. The part number is critical!! It is
a non acidic RTV.  If you use an acidic one it will destroy the coax
shield in about 3 weeks.  If the RTV smells slightly like a citrus fruit
DO NOT USE! This is the acid based kind.

Second is liquid electrical tape. It comes in quite a few colors. About
$5.00 for a 6 oz. can. Can is similar to a PVC cement can. Stuff dries
in about 20 minutes and is great for covering entire connector. Can be
found at good marine supply houses or a larger ACE hardware stores.
Scotty Neustadter, W4WW  or
SE USA Pilot VK0IR Expedition
Huntsville Hamfest Chairman
Question Pool Committee, NCVEC    Home Fax 205 880 9530 (4 ring pickup)

             "Hold the screwdriver by the fat yellow end"