[TowerTalk] Installing Coax Connectors

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Installing Coax Connectors
From: (Dale Martin)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 18:38:34 -0600
It seems to me the integrity of the center conductor/shield
insulator is extremely important.  Having had my solder work
at work inspected under everything from reading eyeglasses
to icroscopes for many years, the thought of throwing a damp
rag on the still hot joint causes me to cringe.

If you are going to use a wet or damp rag, why not just wrap it
around the coax and the back end of the connector.  Don't let
it touch the solder.

I do this: I fit the coax into the PL-259, solder one hole, leave
sufficient time for the insulation to air cool and harden, then
do the next, etc., etc.  It's slow, but I have greater confidence
that the center conductor didn't migrate through liquid or plastic

Dale Martin, KG5U