[TowerTalk] "heat/cold" shrink waterproofing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] "heat/cold" shrink waterproofing
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 03:05:09 -0800
I made the subject "heat/cold shrink" because I felt it unlikely that
many of you knew about the new "cold shrink" available for coax/hardline
cable splice waterproofing.

Andrew makes such a device, as does 3M. They are in a joint venture on
this product.

I have used it on my hardline cables and it is a much more professional
way to make waterproof connections between LDF-4/LDF-4 cables or between
other cable combinations.  I also use it on the LDF-4/TypeN connections
at my tower interface box.

Essentially what it is, is a method of applying "heat shrink" quality
rubber waterpfoofing to cables/connectors without applying any heat.

Andrew has photos of the device on their home page (URL =
http://www.andrew.com)  Use their SEARCH engine on: "cold shrink"

The specific URL is:
http://www.andrew.com/products/catalog/pdf/36c471.pdf

At this URL, you can download the Adobe Acrobat reader which is
necessary to view these files.

I have used the Andrew cold shrink splices successfully in a couple
amateur applications at my station.  They work FB.  The cost is
approximately $15 per connection/splice. But, there is no mess, no fuss,
and no distruction/"gooping-up" of the connection if it becomes
necessary to remove the waterproofing.  Of course, if you do remove the
waterproofing, the $15 is lost/sunk.

Another alternative to the tape/coax seal/rubber caulk/silicone rubber
that you all have heard of over the past 50 years!!  This one with NO
damage to the original connectors/cables.

73!

Bill, N3RR@EROLS.COM