[TowerTalk] Sidemounting

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sidemounting
From: (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 12:14:24 EST
Fred Hopengarten, K1VR
Six Willarch Road; Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
617/259-0088; e-mail: or

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997 08:17:41 -0700 (MST) K7BG Matt Trott
<> writes:

> Has anyone sidemounted a KT34XA on a IIX or similar
>sidemount? I acquired 3/4 of a KT34XA and was considering rebuilding
>it and
>sidemounting it at 45' on 45G. Or is a ringrotor the only way to go?

K1VR replies:

I have a Cushcraft 40-2CD on a TIC RingRotor, and a TH6DXX on a homebrew
"swinging gate" sidearm.  Here are my thoughts:

*       The RingRrotor does not suffer the start up problems (wherein
you sometimes must go one way to start, and then reverse to get to where
you want to go).

*       The RingRotor does occasionally ice up.

*       Early models of the RingRotor had RFI problems (now solved).

*       To truss a boom from a RingRotor requires an extra set of parts,
which costs more money.

*       RingRotors are expensive now.

*       RingRotors can be hard to climb around.

*       RingRotors are generally easy to work on.

*       RingRotors take 90 seconds to go 360 degrees.  A T2X moves at 1
rpm (a whole lot faster when you are in a contest).

*       The Swinging Gate requires re-aiming at least once a year, which
is never required of the  RingRotor.

*       The Swinging Gate has 310 degree rotation.  The RingRotor is 360

*       The Swinging Gate uses a Ham-M, Ham IV, or T2X -- and those have
well documented maintenance issues:  start up (mentioned above) and
needle wobbling, as well as the need to replace starter capacitors.

*       There are two kinds of people:  Those who have never had
ballbearings fall all over the shop floor, and those who have worked on a
CDE/HyGain rotator motor.