[TowerTalk] Re: Tower base

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Tower base
From: (
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 10:04:13 -0500 (EST)

> I have seen Rohn advertising a 5 ft base section for towers.  Is this
>  necessary?  Can I just use a 10 ft section as the starting point in my
>  tower base?

Hi, Mike -

       Rohn makes a short base (SB25G, etc.) that is identical to a ten foot
section but only 1/2 the height at 5 feet.

      The SB uses the same materials so there is no advantage to using it
strength-wise.   It does, however, lack the leg coupler at the bottom of the
section since it is supposed to be buried in the concrete base.  Pricewise,
the SB45G runs $18.60/foot and the 45G straight section is $24.10/foot MSR so
there is a price advantage to using it.  So the bottom line is that it is
cheaper to bury the SB than a good 10 foot straight section.

73,  Steve   K7LXC