[TowerTalk] Mobile antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mobile antenna
From: JC_Smith@designlink.com (JC Smith)
Date: 27 Mar 1997 16:17:23 GMT
>My friend would like to place a 2-meter and 10-meter antenna on his
>plastic Fiero.  Will the absence of the metal ground
>from the car be a factor in such an installation?

Sure will, but you can cure the problem with some heavy aluminum foil, screen
or whatever you can get to stick to the plastic under the antenna.  There's a
product called Ideal (I think that's the brand) reinforced jacketing for pipe
insulation.  It's an adhesive backed (peel & stick) extra heavy aluminum
foil.  Comes in rolls of 2, 6, 9 or 12 inch width.  You should be able to get
it at a supply house that sells to mechanical contractors.  That should take
care of the ground plane if it will stick to the underside of the plastic.
If you use more than one width, be sure to connect them electrically.

73 - JC,k0hps@amsat.org