[TowerTalk] Spring Tower Inspection & Maintenance! -Reply

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Spring Tower Inspection & Maintenance! -Reply
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 00:27:47 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-31 21:05:55 EST, donovanf@sgate.com (Frank Donovan)
writes:

> In hind sight, its apparent that the closest Crosby clip must be close
>  enough to the anchor to prevent the cable from moving in the anchor
>  during high winds!  The 12 inches to the first Crosby Clip left the cable
>  free to move in the anchor.  I've never seen a spec for the distance to
>  the first Crosby Clip, but -- obviously -- 12 inches was much too not
>  close enough!

Hi, Frank --

       According to my 1994 Crosby catalog application information, the clip
(cable clamp) should be installed "as near the loop or thimble as possible".

>  I feel fortunate that this 135 foot tower is still standing.  Today we had
>  gusts well over 50 MPH, and surely the tower would not be standing today
>  if hadn't been lucky enough to discover the broken guy yesterday!

     Jeez, you're right.  All that clean living must help!

     Thanks for your recent post on tower inspections.  It's amazing what you
can find before it becomes a problem.  Look at it this way, if you do a
thorough inspection and don't find any problems - congratulate yourself on
having done a really good job!

73,  Steve   K7LXC