[TowerTalk] TelRex Rotor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TelRex Rotor
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 08:41:55 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-04-02 03:04:08 EST, rlboyd@CapAccess.org (Rich L. Boyd)
writes:

>  inferior performance-wise, at least theoretically, to modern computer
>  modeled designs.  Mechanical improvements (clamp-on outside the boom
>  plates and lighter weight) could help.

Hi, Rich --

       Good post and accurate analysis of Telrex antennas and the
marketplace.

       Last fall we took down a full-sized 3L 40M Telrex at AI6V's and it
would not have lasted one more season up on Tower Hill.  The bolts holding
the elements in place (and there's only one) had broken/loosened and the
element through-holes in the boom had started to elongate.  It was replaced
with a full-sized 3L 120MPH version from M2.

       As an tower and antenna installer, the innovative mechanical designs
of the Force 12 antennas make a lot of sense.  The aggresive taper of the
elements, element brackets hanging under the boom, boom-to-mast clamp,
rivets, etc.  all add up to increased reliability and ease of installation.

      While I'm not fan of the Cushcraft approach to antenna hardware (build
it as cheap as you can), the flimsy elements do dance around in the wind,
thus shedding the wind load.  The Telrex approach was to make the elements
rigid so that they wouldn't flex.  Personally I'd rather see an antenna "bend
like a willow" than "break like an oak".

      Yes, TOWER TECH is a Force 12 dealer.

73,  Steve   K7LXC