[TowerTalk] Room For Shorty Above TH11

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Room For Shorty Above TH11
From: (
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 10:41:31 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-04-03 07:06:21 EST, w2up@Op.Net (Barry Kutner) writes:

> >      My favorite trick with the (stupid) aluminum boom support for the
>  > is to mount it UNDERNEATH the antenna.  Much easier to install and you
>  > push the boom up higher than you would otherwise.
>  >
>  Don't do it! There have been cases of the supports buckling when
>  placed underneath.
       Actually I don't install the truss at all unless the station owner
INSISTS that I do.  Here in the Pacific NW I haven't lost one due to wind
damage so I'll keep doing it.  Antenna icing is quite rare here so that's not
a concern.

      Were the collapses due to ice loading?  In that case, mounting
underneath might not be such a good idea.  YMMV.

73,  Steve   K7LXC