[TowerTalk] shorty above tribander

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] shorty above tribander
From: k6ll@juno.com (David O Hachadorian)
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 12:22:58 EST
I have a 40-2CD mounted six feet above a KT-34XA. I seem
to do ok with it. I hold the WPXCW 15 meter record, so
the tribander can't be totally screwed up on 15.

The mast is 9' long. Texas Towers cut 1 foot off a
ten footer to make it UPS shippable.

The struts on the 40 are upside down, and actually
overlap the boom support wires for the XA, which
are just two inches away, on the other side of the mast.
The two supports look kind of weird overlapping like that,
kind of like the symbol for the Freemasons. This setup
has been up for about 12 years now, and has seen enough
wind to break U-bolts on a Ham-IV, which I guess is not
saying much. There has been no ice or snow!

I think the 40-2CD is good for stacking with a tribander
because the driven element is third harmonic resonant
around 18.1 Mhz, rather than near 21 Mhz in a full size
antenna. The reflector is probably resonant about 5% lower.
I guess it's because of the loading coils. In
fact, the 40-2CD makes a very good antenna for 18 Mhz.
Every time I get on that band, people break in to conver-
sations and ask what I'm running for an antenna. The swr
is about 1.9, and it takes 1500W with no problems.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
k6ll@juno.com
Yuma, AZ - no snow, no ice, rarely any wind.