[TowerTalk] ANTENNAS AND THEIR RATINGS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ANTENNAS AND THEIR RATINGS
From: johan.vdv@tornado.be (Johan Van de Velde,ON4ANT)
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 16:45:36 +0200
Antennas and their ratings sure seem to be an interesting subject seen
the number
of responses I got.

Generally spoken most of us think manufacturers are overdoing their
ratings.

The ratio between the rtty and ssb for instance is hughe for certain
manufacturers
take for instance MOSLEY PRO series 5kW in SSB  and 600W in rtty.

The majority of opinions stated that one should consider the SSB ratings
abt
3 times the RTTY rating.I think this a correct approach, so take the
RTTY rating,
multiply it by 3 and one should have the SSB rating.

Most of the manufacturers are counting on very low duty cycle to boost
up their
"catalog" ratings.

The term continious rating should be considered as a full duty rating =
RTTY.

So what is the bottom line?

Don't always believe the published ratings as they are often not a
correct reflection
of the measured rating (advertaising department plays a role too).

Consider RTTY as the full duty rating. Multiply by 3 fer SSB rating if
you have an
average duty cycle, multiply by 1.5 for CW ratings.

Several emails I received went a bit further and talked abt F/B gain and
so on,
another interesting topic, I always wondered why a 3el trapped yagi had
on paper
as much gain as a full size 3 el..

I'm always interested in other opinion about yagi's and their ratings
(quads too)
email me at johan.vdv@tornado.be