[TowerTalk] removing silicone

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] removing silicone
From: w5rz@cswnet.com (Dennis Schaefer)
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 22:10:51 -0500
I'm refurbishing a used KT-34A.  The capacitor caps have all turned white
(maybe they WERE white when this one was made) and some of them have
cracks.  I have a new set of caps, but the problem is that the previous
owner gobbed silicone all over the caps and other joints.

I have removed silicone from coax connectors before, and I don't remember
it being this tough.  This stuff looks and feels like a silicone compound,
but is not completely clear - has a little off-white tint to it.  It seems
tougher - adheres to the aluminum better. You can't  just peel it off.

Is there something that would make it easier to remove this stuff, or do I
just need to keep whittling away with my single-edged razor blade?

Dennis,  W5RZ