[TowerTalk] Testing guy terminations

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Testing guy terminations
From: (Leikhim, Joe)
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 22:42:07 -0400 wrote:
>How do we KNOW (proof test)the installed strength of our particular
>connections?  I don't use guy grips because the one and only time I
>tried using them, bought new from Texas Towers on guy cable bought new
>from Texas Towers, a grip which APPEARED to be properly installed let
>loose while tensioning the guy with a comealong.

I am in the process of installing new cables in my US Tower TX489MDPL
crank up. I noted that the old cables had 1/4 to 1/2 inch of tail
hanging out of the grips (which cuts ones hands terribly if you are not
careful). The new cables have no tail and one cable is recessed about .2

Should there be any tail hanging out?? If it is slightly recessed but
crimped well is the strength lessened??

Joe Leikhim

"tv dinner by the pool,
i'm so glad i finished school" -F.Zappa 1967