[TowerTalk] Foolproof Lightning Protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Foolproof Lightning Protection
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 00:19:53 -0400
Hi gang,

I've patiently read every single post on the subject of lightning protection
and absolutely no one has mentioned the cheapest, most foolproof method of
lightning protection.... which I'll get to shortly.  Here, I thought that if
I simply disconnect my coax from the rigs I'd be safe and then I read that a
lightning bolt could jump from the end of the coax on the table to the
equipment sitting there and fuse it to the desk.  Then I'm supposed to
ground the coax to prevent that but it won't prevent the lightning from
jumping out of my AC outlets and zapping the equipment. Of course I won't be
foolish enough to ground my outlets too.

So, like a bolt out of the blue.... it came to me!  If you are really
looking for cheap lightning protection insurance.... simply place your
equipment in the styrofoam packing and cardboard boxes it came in.  You
know... the boxes you keep in the attic and never ever use for anything.
I'll bet any amout of money there isn't a single recorded insurance claim
for lightning damage on equipment that was sitting in its factory carton!

And if that doesn't spell TOTAL PROTECTION, you can always wrap the
equipment in anti-static cloth like.... yep! good ol' CLING-FREE.  How many
insurance claims worldwide do you imagine there are for lightning damage
when the eqipment was protected in this manner?  ABSOLUTELY NONE!  The odds
must be phenominal.  In fact, wrapping your beams and towers with CLING-FREE
anti-static cloths would almost certainly guarantee you a totally
lightning-free zone!  Neighbors will be coming from miles around to stand
under your tower when there's lightning about.  You could sell standing-room
and pay for your tower installation.

Why didn't I think of this before?  On second thought.... NEVER MIND!

Roger, K2JAS