[TowerTalk] mast weight

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] mast weight
From: (
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 97 23:18:03 PDT
Maybe we can settle this argument. I have a 24' galvanized moly mast which
about 135 pounds. I also have small boat winch mounted on top of the flat plate
at the top of the tower, with a 1/4" hole drilled through the flat plate. So,
simple matter to load the winch with 100' of 3/16" cable, through the top plate,
down the inside. Simple matter to just lower the cable down to the top of the
mast inside the tower, and crank it up. When the top gets close to the top of

tower, I secure the mast from the bottom with a come along, disconnect the
winch, and use the come along to go through the mast bearing. Simple, works
well, and doesn't expose me to a 135 pound mast. Light masts can be held by
a gin pole or even manhandled into place, but don't try it with a heavy job,
a 24' mast at that weight can do a lot of damage on the way down.

73, Ed
Name: Edward W. Sleight
To: <>
Date: 4/13/97