[TowerTalk] Coax seal and wasps

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax seal and wasps
From: (Martin Luther)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:32:30 +0930
Interesting observation this weekend. Rearranging some cabling around
the antenna farm. I had to remove some put in temporarily for the
March contests. As it almost never rains here at this time of the year
I had just wrapped the connectors in coax seal without putting tape on
the top.  They are, in any case protected by a box.

I was somewhat surprised to see that the connectors were now clean!!

Observation showed the culprits to be nest building wasps!! Confirmed
later when I was rebuilding some joints and went to pick up the roll
of seal, I got my hand back in time just before I grabbed a handful of
wasps as well!

When combined with the ants that love plastic and hence buried coax we
do have some funny critters here in Australia!

I suppose the lesson is never to cut corners. As my dear old mother
always said, very boringly, If a jobs worth doing its worth doing