[TowerTalk] Hurricanes and Beams

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hurricanes and Beams
From: (
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 07:37:11 -0400 (EDT)
as far as a way to bring your boom from horizontal to vertical, there is the
"industry standard", the PVRC is pictured in the ARRL Handbook as
used with a KT34XA, for years now - check out the skinny young guy with the
ball cap....I was half the man I am now!

By mounting a length of tube/pipe horizontally on a boom to mast plate and
then mounting your beam onto the horizontal pipe you can bring the boom into
a vertical plane....some ops use this as a way to build antennas in the air,
as pictured, and once the antenna is built transfer it onto the vertical
mast....others just leave it on the horizontal portion.

I do not know if you have guys on your boom or not....and judging by your
call I am wondering if you are proposing something you could have someone
else do for you from afar....if so, you may be asking for a lot....Hurricanes
are nasty puppies and when they come we all have our priorities centred
around our families...yes the antenna should be addressed, but don't think
for a minute it will be THE top priority in the event of a hurricane.