[TowerTalk] Identifying wires in your shack

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Identifying wires in your shack
From: Joe Subich" < (Joe Subich)
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 97 20:01:46 -0400
In <>, on 04/17/97
   at 06:32 AM, said:

>Here's one other thing you should do: write an ID on each plug and
>cable. The best tape to use to do this is WHITE VINYL TAPE. It molds
>easily to plug contours and adheres well to the rubber/plastic surface.

Professionally I use a small Brother lable maker to make a "strip" with
the name of the signal being carried and the name/location of the
connections for both ends of hte cable.  This is placed lengthwise on
the cable 6" to 12" away from the connector and covered with clear
heat shrink tubing.  Remember to install the heat shrink "cover" BEFORE
you install the connector!

This works very well on any cable 1/8" or larger (serial data, RG-58,
RG-59, etc.) and makes sure there is no question about the function of
the cable if the equipment is ever removed for maintenance, etc.

   ... Joe Subich, W8IK  ex-AD8I