[TowerTalk] Re: Ground Rods & Ohms

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Ground Rods & Ohms
From: (R. Morris)
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 00:22:10 -0400
Jamey Brookover wrote:
> There has been a wealth of information in this thread about the theory
> and practice of proper grounding procedures.  Getting back to basics for
> a moment, how does a 6 foot tall person safely / properly / *easily*
> manage to get an 8 foot ground rod into the ground in the first place?
> The picture of someone standing on a step ladder swinging a 16 pound
> sledge hammer is not a pretty sight.  Are any special tools available to
> aid in this process, and how do the pros do this day in and day out?
> When I lived in West Virginia I was once told a story about Appalachian
> rock worms....  Please -- No limmericks!
> Thanks --
> Jay -- NT4D -- (ex WB8BMV)
> --
> FAQ on WWW:
> Submissions:
> Administrative requests:
> Problems:

   Take a 4 foot chunk of 1" pipe and 8lb or larger hammer head to
the welding store...You now have a "hollow handle hammer"...

Slide the "handle" over the end of the ground rod, stand the rod
in the 1 ft hole you dug, "slide" the handle up 3.8ft and let go.
(or hold on and apply downward force)

*Easily*--call friends...tell them it's fun....

This is not for installing ground rods, it is for finding large
rocks, three feet below the surface.