[TowerTalk] Re: Ground Rods

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Ground Rods
From: w2up@Op.Net (Barry Kutner)
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 08:23:11 +0000
On 18 Apr 97, Jerry K. Liley <> wrote:

> Dear Jay,
> I see someone already told you about the "EASY" way to sink ground rods.
> The water method "really" works in Missouri.   It takes more than a cup
> of water but a bucket full should do the job.   I usually dig a small
> hole where the rod is going and pour a quart of water in the hole.   That
> way you can keep the hole full and it will self- feed the water down
> along the ground rod.   Don't get in too big of a hurry doing this job.
> Let the soil have time to soak up the moisture.   Somewhere around the
> four or five foot depth,  pull the ground rod all of the way out and fill
> the hole again.   Go get a cup or coffee or a soda and let it soak for 10
> or 15 minutes.   From that point on, you will not need anymore water.   I
> have found the need to take a hammer and drive in the last two feet
> simply because I could not get enough pressure on the rod by hand.   Wear
> some gloves because blisters will appear quickly and be cautious when
> pushing the rod in on top of the water else it will squirt back at you
> with vigor.
Question and  comment re ground rod insertion:

Comment - I've read that the "water method" is not a good idea
because the soil is not in tight contact with the rod, and the
decreased surface area of contact increases the electrical
resistance, diminshing the rod's effectiveness.

Question(s) - Are these post hole drivers available at Home Depot
type stores?  We have a lot of shale down at about the 4-5 ft level.
Any tips how to get through it? I've used the sledge hammer method in
the past, and sometimes can manage to break through, other times not.
73 Barry

Barry Kutner, W2UP                           Internet:
Newtown, PA                   FRC            alternate: