[TowerTalk] More on Florescent Tube Interference.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] More on Florescent Tube Interference.
From: jm@drsmesh.com (Joe E. Mesh)
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 01:24:12 -0400 (EDT)
>> I can't find any reference to liteolier on the web.
Spelled correct?
Do you have any info on the company?
Thanks
Bill W5EC <<

I type these things kind of fast usually between things at work.
Sorry...  Liteolier may have them BUT....

My fixtures are made by Lithonia.  My designs are troffers.
Specifically the fixtures are ordered with two optional suffix codes.
First there is the lens option.   It is the Radio Frequency Shielding
option and includes the special lens and the grounding clips.   The RIF2
Radio Interference Filters (one per ballast) are the other option
required.

The lens are available in two versions.   KSH-12RF and KSH-19RF
specifically. They differ only in thickness of the plastic in the lens.

With the lens installed with the grounding clips properly grounded (you
can't solder to these lens grids -- I tried) and the ballasts filtered
with their filters the troffer fixtures are compliant with
Mil-Std-461A/462/463.

Proper EMI/RFI testing is difficult and extensive.  Radiated EMI and
conducted EMI need be considered.  A specific band of frequencies should
be defined along with limits for the noise level that is acceptable.
The Mil-Stds do this.   The FCC does this.   The German engineering
standards of VDE do this.

All I did is listen for noise in my receivers.   I like the fixtures!  I
can't hear them!

One more note.  Both conducted and radiated EMI/RFI are higher for
electronic ballasts than for magnetic ballasts.   This was stated by
Advance Transformer Co. in 1992 in their Elec-Tech News.

--
Thanks....Joe E. Mesh, D.M.D.,C.A.G.S.(Prosthodontics)
from Beautiful Downtown HELL, Michigan USA