[TowerTalk] Projectiles (fwd)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Projectiles (fwd)
From: aa6eg@tmx.com (Pat Barthelow)
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 17:46:48 -0700 (PDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 12:21:14 -0300
From: Frederick R. Ashley <frashley@netpath.net>
To: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@tmx.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Projectiles

At 09:08 AM 4/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
>RE Arrows, golf balls, fishing weights, etc....
>Great thread.......
>          I am surprised that no one has mentioned the hazards of high
>speed, tethered arrows, golf balls, fishing weghts, etc, if/when they
>come to the sudden end of the stretchy "rope" prematurely.  In sixth
>grade, my class all went through a traumatic learing experience of
>having our classmate loose an eye when he shot a paperclip using
>a rubber band, at the school playground and it somehow caught the
>rubber band, and shot right back into his aiming eye.  The memory
>of my screaming classmate on the playground has never left me.  If
>the monofilament tether comes taut for any reason within, say, 10
>feet of your slingshot, bow, crossbow, etc....Imagine its reverse
>velocity right back at your aiming eye.....I Doubt that you can "duck" fast
>enough........
>Practice Safe Antenna Erections....
>WEAR STURDY EYE PROTECTION!!
>
>73, DX, de Pat, AA6EG/N6IJ.... The Contest Station from the

Good point Pat, I have had that very thing happen to me!  I was about to
shoot an arrow up to the 80 foot level of a tree, and my helper was standing
on some of the unspooled line!  I let the arrow go, and like you said, after
about 15 feet of travel, the arrow came right back, fortuneatly it came back
sideways.  It hit my friend in the head as he ducked, but he was uninjured.
If it had come back tip first, well, my friend would now be sporting yet
another hole in his head!

73, Buddy, WB4M