[TowerTalk] Aluminum Hardline w/o jacket

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Hardline w/o jacket
From: ni8l@imperium.net (Scott Detloff, K8DX)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 12:20:48 -0400 (EDT)
At 08:24 AM 4/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Heres on for the experts here,
>
>I am intending to use some AL 1/2 inch hardline.  The problem is that it
>doesn't have a jacket.  Just bare Al.  I suspect that it would be bad
>form to thread this up the tower against the galvanized steel.  What
>solutions have any of you found to work around this problem.
>
>Jay, WX0B

Hi Jay,

I've found that even using 3/4" CATV cable without a jacket, would somtimes kink
when running up the tower.  The black PE jacket makes it much more stiff that I
would rather use 1/2" with a jacket than a 3/4" without it.

I had two runs of 3/4" without a jacket up the tower for 100' for two years
and didn't
see any evidence of corrosion before it was replaced by some .840" with a
jacket.
It may just be that I'm  trying to convince myself that it was worth the
work of changing,
but it seems to be quiter.  I sometimes noticed "popping sounds" on the
receiver that
I would think were from the unjacketed cable.  I had heard that K8CC had some
prolems with this, but don't know how severe, or if there was a fix, and it
was always
in the back of my mind.

I drove by every CATV warehouse in the area and kept asking for end rolls.
It paid
off too.  I was able to get 3000' plus of the .840" with a jacket, for just
hauling it away.
I then made my own connectors, cut the cable to multiples of 1/2 wavelength
of the
design frequency and added RG213 to reach.  I think I'd start "shopping" for
some
jacketed cable before using what you have just because you might be able to
get a
better one (ie. jacket/ larger diameter/ less loss)
for a very small investment.

GL,

Scott K8DX (ex NI8L)