[TowerTalk] Why abolish ham radio?(LONG)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Why abolish ham radio?(LONG)
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 13:41:37 -1000

Hi all,  I just had to respond to this rec.radio.amateur.policy

posting.  Decided to share my response with you,  hope you agree with

my points.  Some of those marshalling against our hobby are

getting out of control!  In my opinion.

Jim, KH7M

wrote in article

> > The problem is simple...most hams don't have a POINT >when they transmit.

Of course they do,  ENJOYMENT!

Amateur Radio,  is just that:  read "One who loves

the art/technology of wireless communications."

You know,  from the Latin:  amo,  amas, AMAT =

he loves.

People become amateur radio operators to enjoy the

technology,  and talking to other people who also

enjoy it.  Not to send traffic,  to communicate valuable

and useful information,  and in particular,  not to

earn a living or try to be as information efficient as

possible for the bandwidth being used.

Though the Communication Act calls our hobby,

The Amateur Radio Service,  and it has served many

a communitiess'  and individual's needs over the

decades,  it was set up for lovers of the art of

wireless.

Many on this news group have written that amateurs

have not contributed technically,  nor served any

useful service purpose.  Nuts!  I personally,  with my

rig,  saved the ship,  Sea Harvest,  stranded in the

Caribbean because of lightening strikes to the ship.

All navigation was out.  Read about the entire

rescue,  and my role as relay station with the

Coast Guard in QST for March 1993,  page 90,

Public Service department of that issue.  A better

and longer report of this SERVICE was written

up in the W5YI Report of  July 1,  1992, page 7.

And my station was the ONLY link to the outside

world from the South side of Kauai for days and

days after Hurricane Iniki wiped out ALL utilities,

phones,  etc for weeks here!  7000 utility poles

out of 16000 on the island were down;  all the wrong

ones it seemed.  But I have a 5 kW Honda generator.

Via my station,  FEMA re provisioned the hospital

on this side of the island with vitally needed surgical

and immunization materials,  they even had run

out of surgical gloves!!

If the various public service agencies of the USA

have their way -- American Red Cross,  Salvation

Army,  just to name a couple -- the Amateur

Radio hobby,  will be viewed as a VITAL  SERVICE

supplement for this nation for a LONG time to come.

Ask the folks up in Grand Forks about the aid from

radio amateurs these days!  Read about it later (much

later,  unfortunately) in QST or any of the other

hammy publications.

And who are we amateurs that perform these services

from time to time as the need seems to arise?  Those

of us who just LOVE  radio.  We have spent major

portions of our lives being soaked in RADIO;  not

as a passing fad interest,  but as LOVERS.  Most of

us have spent years learning everything we can about

radio,  propagation,  amateurs who live in other lands

and how they might differ from us in the technology

they may use,  etc.,  etc.  Most of us read many more

publications than just QST.

Over the years,  we lovers of radio have steeped our

minds in the wonderment of listening for, and hearing

very weak signals coming from the far reaches of the

globe.  From a rig set up beside/within a hut somewhere,

with a simple wire antenna hung between a mango and

a palm tree perhaps.  Of course,  we could pick up

the phone,  even our remote digital cell phone and

call that area of the world for 25 cents a minute,  perhaps.

But that is not the POINT.  The point for us remains

the joy of doing it OUR WAY,  via wireless,  and

just maybe,  still,  with the obsolete mode of

ancient communications called CW.

And,  many of us still believe,  in spite of all the words

with venom spewed out upon this reflector against

the CW testing requirement,  that CW rightly belongs

as a FILTER to assure that only those who love

wireless communication enough to master this

singularly enjoyable form of hobby communications,

will earn the right to operate on the world globe

spanning HF amateur frequencies.

There,  I've said my bit.  Flame away,  those who must.

My asbestos suit is on!

73,  Jim, KH7M

On the Garden Island of Kauai

http://planet-hawaii.com/charles/