[TowerTalk] Re: New Tower Grounding Spec - what about Aluminum wire?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: New Tower Grounding Spec - what about Aluminum wire?
From: ab5tv@ix.netcom.com (Madison R. Jones)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 17:47:56 -0500
Chuck Dietz wrote:

> I have some really big aluminum wire...Can I use it for a ground wire?
>
> Ok with copper rods?  with galvanized rods?
>
> Chuck, KE5FI
>
> --

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

In case you were not aware, the so-called high tension lines which are
used to transport electical energy far and wide across the USofA are all
made of aluminum.  The problem with aluminum wiring in household
circuits (and why the electrical code prohibits it) is that the
corrosion which forms when the aluminum wire hits the
copper/brass/bronze contained in the fixture, circuit breaker or
whatever prohibits the connection from being as good as it was designed
to be: Heat builds up, the c/b does not pop, a fire begins, and pretty
soon Chicago/Los Angeles/New York/Walla Walla is a smoldering ruin.  But
what the hey? Check your connection every so often - it ought to work.

Regards,

Madison
w5mj