[TowerTalk] Re: New Tower Grounding Spec - what aboutAluminumwire?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: New Tower Grounding Spec - what aboutAluminumwire?
From: (
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 12:35:25 -0700
re: the aluminum wire used in high tension power lines

The wire is not quite "aluminum." It is aluminum clad steel (trade name
Alum-O-Weld). It's the same basic product we use for our linear loading
wire, just bigger. It has several advantages over copper/copper clad, which
is why they are changing from copper.

Regarding the aluminum house wiring, we had it in our (then) new house in
Minnesota. One evening - BANG - the fixture above the dinner table flashed.
The wire nut had come loose from the aluminum (not ALum-O-Weld) wire
junction. It was an eye-opener, to say the least. Oh, yes - I fixed it and
we finished dinner. Then I checked all of the connections in the house. Only
have copper in the house here (California).

Have a good day and 73,
                        Tom, N6BT
                        Force 12 Antennas and Systems
                        (Home Page )