[TowerTalk] Tower Grounding Spec-Concerns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Grounding Spec-Concerns
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 16:09:04 -0500
I am more worried about the connections than anything else.  It seems to me
it is hard to get a good solid connection on the galvanized tower leg.
Using SS hoseclamps seems to be a bit cheesy for me.  Once a lighting bolt
hits, that clamp is going to be toast.  I don't want to cad-weld onto the
leg of my 25G either.  Also, the connection onto the ground rod is another
area where I am not comfortable with.  I have taken to braizing the
connection on.  Copper to copper with some silver solder.  Again, a direct
bolt is going to melt that down pretty quickly.  I also clamp the thing with
a copper clamp.  The wire is #8 gauge, but I think that I am going to get
some wide copper roof flashing to make the connections.

In practical terms...connecting the leg of a galvanized tower to copper that
is sturdy, rigit and won't melt keeps me up at night during a thunderstorm.
Never been hit, but there is the first time.

So...  comments?

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net