[TowerTalk] Re: New Tower Grounding Spec - what about Aluminum wire?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: New Tower Grounding Spec - what about Aluminum wire?
From: n5nj@worldnet.att.net (Robert Naumann)
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 12:09:56 +0100
Another problem with aluminum wire that I noticed in my former career as an
electrician is that the aluminum wire tends to take a "set" or mold itself
and "flow" around the clamping device such that after a period of time,
it's no longer tight.

I installed hundreds of circuit breaker panels in homes and many  who think

"they only have copper" may be surprised to know that the standard wire
running
from your electric meter to you circuit breaker panel is aluminum.  The
wire running
from the meter to the electric company pole is also aluminum.

I was amazed that when I'd go back to the same house, I'd check the
aluminum feeder connections coming in and invariably they would be loose.
I had insulated Allen wrenches made for this purpose and would retighten
them.  The amazing part is that when I originally installed them, I used
plenty of "noalox" and made sure that it was tightened as much as I could.

73,
Bob Naumann  N5NJ

> From: ROBERT WANDERER <aa0cy@robertwanderer.gardnerville.nv.us>
> To: 'Chuck Dietz' <ke5fi@wt.net>