[TowerTalk] KLM KT34XA

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KLM KT34XA
From: (David O Hachadorian)
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 13:46:47 EDT
On Sat, 26 Apr 1997 16:30:42 +0200 Luís Teixeira <>
>I will
>want to replace KLM Mono by a KLM KT34XA brand new. I would like to
>your opinions abt what separation I should leave between KLM/402 and
>what could be the reason for 5el Mono low perfomance (TH7 better in
>RX and TX in 80% of situations...!).
>I would appreciate your comments.
>Thanks, and 73 de Luis, CT4NH
>PS: QTH is located in the slope of a little hill facing the Atlantic
>Ocean, which is abt 2 miles.

Hi Luis,

Here are some ideas:

1. A good combination, used by myself and several other
contest stations that I know of, is the KT-34XA with a
Cushcraft 40-2CD mounted above the XA, with the two
booms in line (parallel). My 40-2CD is only 6 feet above the
XA, on a 48 foot tower. My contest scores are
pretty good for such a low tower, so the antennas are
definitely working. I have heard that the 40-2CD also
stacks well with the TH-7, but I don't have any personal
experience with that combination. I also don't know much
about the 402BA, but have heard that the Cushcraft is

2. The 40-2CD is resonant at 7 and 18 Mhz, so stacks well
with a tribander, or 10/15/20 monobanders. The 40-2CD
also makes a pretty good 18 Mhz antenna (swr = 1.9).

3. If you are on a hillside, you should really run N6BV's
YTAD program to determine optimum height. The program is
available on the Internet, probably through the ARRL
file server. 73

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL