[TowerTalk] Mast safety

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast safety
From: (John D. Peters)
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 23:53:56 -0700
wf3h wrote:
> Here's a different one. Friend has a 2 meter antenna which needs to be
> replaced. antenna is at top of mast...about 15' up the mast. to reach it,
> steps have been built on the mast about 3/4 of the way up. mast is 2"
> chrome-moly. wind was brisk today so didnt climb up to get the
> antenna...any comments on the situation?
> --
> FAQ on WWW:
> Submissions:
> Administrative requests:
> Problems:

Sounds like an intelligent decision to me. I don't like to climb in wind.

If the tower is sound, and the mast is correctly mounted in the tower,
and the steps are strong, it's no big deal at all.

I have a 2 in o.d. 1/2 in wall chrome moly mast, 6 ft inside the tower,
over 20 ft above the tower. steps up the mast.  I use the same steps a
Navy Shipyard uses on 2 inch scaffold.  It's no big deal to be at 85 ft
standing on the steps, safety belt around the mast, working on the top
yagi.  A 2 meter yagi is more like a tv antenna anyway. My top one is a
full size 30 meter yagi on a 34 ft 3 inch od boom.

What prompted the question?  Whether he should climb in wind?  Whether
working on a 2 meter antenna is worth doing?  Whether he should wear a
safety belt?

73 John K1ER