[TowerTalk] Al corrosion/connector seals

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Al corrosion/connector seals
From: (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 97 10:36:40 -0400
On 3/25/97 8:20 AM, Hawkins, Bill at wrote:

>Aluminum can be separated easily using propane torch with
>blow torch tip. This will not(shouldn't) overheat the aluminum.
>Heat evenly all the way around and let cool. Oxidation turns to dust.
>A light tap will loosen and it easily separates. Clean good.

I must say, this tip has allowed me to separate an A3S boom that has been
stuck since I took it down two years ago. I had tried heavy application
of penetrating silicone libricants and lots of pressure, but no luck.

The heat/cooling cycle suggested loosened the joint up enough that I
could take it apart myself. Amazing.

>Use Noalox next time.

I put up the A3S 7 years ago before I knew about Noalox. When I moved, I
had to carry the boom intact, as I couldn't separate it, even with help.

Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901