N4KG: Re: [TowerTalk] tower height

To: <>
Subject: N4KG: Re: [TowerTalk] tower height
From: (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 10:24:33
At 09:55 AM 4/27/97 -0500, George wrote, in response to N4KG:
>>This is the age old antenna question!
>>There is NO  SINGLE  OPTIMUM  HEIGHT, especially for the high bands.  TWO
>>antennas at 40 and 80 ft are very effective with
>>switching for upper, lower, and both in phase.
>I aggree with your comments but, to ask the orignal question again.
>If I gave you a TH-7 and this was to be your only antenna
>for 20-15-10 and you wanted it to work "best" over an
>entire solar cycle at anytime of day or at any distance
>at what height would you put it?

George -- I think you added a joker to the deck by specifying "over an
entire solar cycle."  After all, that's 11 years.

For what it's worth, W3LPL urged me, when I was planning to stop at 70
feet, that I instead go up to 100 ft.  Frank has thought about these things
a bit, and he felt that I'd be much better off at that height during this
part of the solar cycle (for DX contesting), and could always add a lower
antenna later.  So far, it seems to be proving out.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR