[TowerTalk] Permit Necessary?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Permit Necessary?
From: (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 12:30:05 EDT
On Mon, 28 Apr 1997 23:54:05 -0400 (Leikhim, Joe)
>While this request does not concern an amateur tower, perhaps someone
>the reflector can help with this hypothetical situation.
>Owner of commercial tower in South Florida (Built in about 1987,
>EIA222D??) decides to remove two large six foot 2 GHz Grid antennas
>near top of tower (125 ft) and replace with two smaller two foot 10
>solid dishes at 80 ft level. PE report says tower in this
>still meets original design criteria.
>1. Does owner of tower need to pull building permit for this
>2. Is there generally any legal requirement to bring this tower up to
>lates EIA222F specs???
>Joe Leikhim

K1VR replies:  Depends on your local zoning ordinance, and somewhat on
your local building inspector.  Here are the two classic sides to this

1.  Construction work which can imperil the integrity of a structure
requires a building permit.  This is why you need a new building permit
to replace the shingles on your roof.

2.  No permit is necessary in this situation, as it is no different than
changing the sails on a sailboat -- there has been no change in

The question cannot be answered without a copy of the local building code
and zoning ordinance in hand.  It is a purely local matter.
Fred Hopengarten K1VR
Six Willarch Road, Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
Lifetime e-mail address:

P.S.  Not only am I a lawyer, but I've played one on TV.