[TowerTalk] tower damage / insurance question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower damage / insurance question
From: JC_Smith@designlink.com (JC_Smith@designlink.com)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 20:25:22 GMT
KK4HD writes:

===== snip =====
My tower was damaged by a truck delivering gravel (one guy and
2m antenna in the top.) Their insurance wants to prorate the years I
owned the tower over the useful live of the installation. I'm not sure that
this is acceptable, but if I have to make the choice, what would be the
useful live of the installation?

Tower is 90ft Rohn 45, guyed by a mix of phillystran and steel cable.
===== snip =====

Well, Paul, it sounds like they don't have your best interests at heart, and if
you were to decide to sue their client (the dumptruck owner) they would be out
the installed cost of a new tower plus their legal costs. (Did you say someone
was on the tower?  He probably lost some sleep over the scare.  Emotional
stress?  Pain & suffering?)  They would probably back down.  However, looking
at it another way, I'm a mechanical engineer, and I've installed a few towers.
I would say your Rohn 45 (properly maintained of course) would have a useful
life of around 200 years.

Anybody else out there can help Paul out?

73 - JC,k0hps@amsat.org