[TowerTalk] Rohn Parts Sources?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn Parts Sources?
From: JC_Smith@designlink.com (JC_Smith@designlink.com)
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 10:47:29 GMT
With all this "to do" about Rohn tower hardware, I have a question.

I received three sections of Rohn 25 which I am using as a small, unguyed,
tilt-up holding about 5 sq. ft. of satellite antennas & crossboom.  Since it
didn't come with hardware, I used some stainless steel bolts & nuts I already
had.  In my application (the lower section of the tower is bolted to a building
or a large step van after it is tilted up, and it's in a protected area) I
doubt that I will ever have any problems, but this brings up the question: how
high could one go using stainless hardware instead of plated stuff?  I suspect
the plated stuff is high strength alloy, perhaps case hardened, and "much"
stronger than the stainless, but for towers that get wrenched on a lot (this
one gets disassembled often...  it's used at a hamfest, for field day, etc.)
the stainless hardware is sure nice.  Plating never seems to last very long,
and even galv. hardware starts to rust in just a few years.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes stainless hardware.  How good is it in
this application?  Anyone?

73 - JC,k0hps@amsat.org