[TowerTalk] guy tension

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] guy tension
From: hancock@ce.net (Edward Hancock)
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 17:09:07 -0400
I read with interest the various suggestions about guy wire tension.
But the more I read the more confused I become, because of what is
probably a simple misunderstanding.

If I have a tower at 60 feet and use .25" guy at 10% of its rated
strength and it holdes the tower per specs why do I need to increase the
absolute tension lbs. if I just go up to a larger diameter guy?  If 600
lbs held the tower with a .25" guy to go to 800lbs just because I am
going to increase the guy to .365" just doesn't make sense to me. (NOTE:
 all sizes and tensions are presented for example only.  Somebody please
explain