[TowerTalk] DCU-1

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] DCU-1
From: (David Robbins)
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 23:46:26 +0000
Chuck Sudds wrote:
> At 02:29 PM 5/2/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >Aren't these DCU-1 control boxes kind of expensive for what you get?  Do
> >you guys really feel like it is worth the extra money?  Just curious.
> I agree! I would think that, since the analog indicator meter simply samples
> small current changes to determine it's readings, that it would be a simple
> matter of one of you "technical gurus" building a small digital "box" to
> attach externally to any existing CDE/HyGain rotor.
> How about it? Or am I all wet!

the computer controller that i built from an off the shelf micro
controller board for the yaesu series of gxxxx-sdx boxes could be
easily adapted to control any rotor that has an analog indicator
system.  all that should be needed to control any of the cde/hygain
or other rotors may be the addition of some small relays or opto
isolators on the output, and maybe changing some scaling resistors
on the a/d input.  i have been using this board for a year or so
now for a g-2700sdx and have also tested it in a g-1000sdx and
g-2800sdx.  the software and schematics are posted on my web site
for anyone that wants to make one.

David Robbins K1TTT (ex KY1H)   or