[TowerTalk] Explorer 14 with high SWR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Explorer 14 with high SWR
From: grimm@alison.sbc.edu (Kenneth D. Grimm)
Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 16:31:47 -0400
K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-05-03 14:16:35 EDT, kb0onf@juno.com (david l hyman)
> writes:

> >      As we came into winter . . . the swr's on ALL the antennas jumped to
> >  3 (40 m) and 5 (10 and 20m). SWR for the dipole and R5 also went to 5.
> >
> >      My first thought was a bad antenna switch. As soon as temperatures in
> >  the 60's came around . . . I bypassed the antenna switch.  NO CHANGE.
> >
> >      Has anybody got any thoughts as to what might be happening and how to
> >  correct it?
>
>       The first thing I would do would be to go up on the tower with an
> MFJ-259 Antenna Analyzer and test the antenna directly.  Go right to the
> antenna terminals first and then go back down the system.  If the antenna
> checks out, then you've probably got a bad coax connection.  If the antenna
> SWR is still bad, then you've got an antenna problem.  There are ways to
> check the traps to see if they're bad.
>
>      This is a good start.  Other TowerTalkian comments?
>
> 73,  Steve  K7LXC

The thing that bothers me is that the SWR for everything North of the
switch has changed...the beam, dipole and vertical.  The switch has been
bypassed to no avail, so that leaves coax and especially coax connectors
as the chief suspects in my book.  Have we missed something?

73,
Ken K4XL
grimm@alison.sbc.edu