[TowerTalk] Rohn SSV questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn SSV questions
From: bbergman@frii.com (Bob Bergman)
Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 21:00:13 -0600
Greetings and thanks for reading this.

I've recently acquired 4 sections of Rohn SSV tower.

This was last used as a cable tv tower at 80 feet.
There was one section of VL 349, Two sections of VL 348 and one section
of VL 347 as the top unit.

The tower has been on the ground for two years and many of the cross
braces are badly bent.  The galvanization on all components is in
excellent condition. One of the VL348 legs has had the connecting
bracket cut off about 2 inches up the leg and is also bent.

What I would like to do is build a 40 ft tower out of the parts by
duplicating the damaged cross members from cross members from the lower
section and sealing the exposed bare metal where they are cut with a
primer or other sealant.

Should I use the larger diameter legs from the original lower section
(VL349) and use the shorter cross braces from the original 3rd section
as my base? or would it be better to use the legs that were used on the
3rd section (VL348) with the same cross members?

I am also may extend the tower an additional 10 feet by cutting a VL348
in half along with the damaged VL349 leg and fabricate a new 10ft
section for the top (resulting in a 50 foot tower).

I am looking for ideas along with wondering if Rohn or anyone in
Towertalk has any drawings for base construction that could be submitted
with my permit request.  We experience 40-50 MPH winds occasionally in
spring and fall with potiential for 100 MPH microbursts during bad
thundershowers. The location is Northern Colorado.

Thanks in advance.

73's

Bob  K0FR
bbergman@frii.com