[TowerTalk] Backstays

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Backstays
From: K4OJ@aol.com (K4OJ@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 22:05:48 -0400 (EDT)
Fred

When I built the big 20 meter beam two years ago I toyed with how I would
truss the boom.  The smallest size of Phillystran does not use guy grips, but
the second size does.  The fact that I could use the grips sold me, they are
so "clean"...I would recommend AGAINST using rope due to previous
disatisfaction when it stretched, and as far as ss wire rope, even though the
truss is in line with the boom and should have NO tendancy to be
parasitically excited, knowing the philystran can't do that NOT MATTER WHAT
means it is one less source of stomach acid.  I used ss hardware at both ends
of the truss and don't think of it, ever....the way it should be!

73,

k4oj