[TowerTalk] Rohn joint bolts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn joint bolts
From: w5hvv@aeneas.net (Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph)
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 19:22:39 -0500
>...and no one seemed to have an opinion on the suitability of stainless steel
>bolts as an alternative.  Hasn't anyone else tried or at least considered this?
>
>73 - JC,k0hps@amsat.org

Yes, there have been several that have tried this, of which I am one!!
I decided, after taking down a dozen Plus-or-minus towers that had bolts
so badly rusted that some were actually eaten completely through, that
I would put stainless bolts and stainless nylon-insert lock nuts on my
130 foot Rohn 25G when I assembled it.

I am glad to say that the nuts and bolts look just as good today (5 years
later) as they did when I installed them.

I realize that they are not fine thread bolts like those that Rohn uses
but I am very comfortable with that.  None of the nuts have shown any
inclination to back off and I have no personal fear of danger to myself
when I climb or do any antenna work.

I suppose it inevitably comes down to the decision of each individual that
installs a tower but after seeing the rusted through and nearly rusted
through bolts supplied by Rohn for installation of those towers I've
"de-installed", I'll put my trust and belief in those stainless bolts and
nylon-inserted lock nuts!!!

73, Rod  W5HVV