[TowerTalk] power line noise

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] power line noise
From: AA4NC@aol.com (AA4NC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 19:37:43 -0400 (EDT)
I hope this subject is kosher for this reflector...

I'm working on getting rid of a particularly nasty case of power line noise.
I would appreciate any guidance that any of you folks could offer:

Have any of you ever had a noise case that seemed to "propagate" down a line
to show up at another spot? According to the technician that has been working
with me, the noise source is showing up 65 degrees from the direction where
my strongest interference is showing on 10 and 6 meters.
My interference peaks at about a 45 degree heading (where two 13.2kV poles
are located that have been noisy in the past). The tech. tells me that he
sees nothing at those poles (with RF and ultrasonic testers), but has
identified a large buzz about 300' down the same line (this pole is about 340
degrees azimuth from my station).
I hear almost no noise at this heading on several different frequency /
antenna combinations.

Is this one for the X Files, or is it common for noise to propagate down a
line in a similar fashion to a transmission line and peak at a point that is
some distance away from its source?

Another very noticeable sysmptom - The noise almost goes away completely in
high humidity / wet conditions, and is strong in dry conditions. I would
think that this would suggest problems with insulators, but the tech. says
it's not necessarily so.
Their "fixes" so far have been to "tighten the hell out of everything" which
seems to last anywhere from a couple days to a month. It is a major chore
getting the interference tech. out here, and even harder to get the line crew
scheduled. Keep in mind I work for the utility and I think I'm getting
"preferential" treatment. I pity the service that outsiders probably get...

Thanks - CU at Dayton,

Will AA4NC