[TowerTalk] Height to reduce QRM on 20 m?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Height to reduce QRM on 20 m?
From: (John Brosnahan)
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 10:49:37 -0600 (MDT)
At 11:50 AM 5/14/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Is it possible to reduce QRM (mostly stateside) by raising an antenna up
>to around 100'? I'm running a Kenwood ts-850 with a 1.8 khz 1st IF ssb
>filter and am primarily interested in listening to & working dx
>stations. Problem I'm having is strong adjacent frequency interference
>from stations 1-2 khz away. Antenna is cushcraft asl-2010 @ 45'. I have
>read on here about around a certain height there is a deep null in high
>angle radiation, would the same thing apply to recieve? Thanks & 73
>Steve KG8TX

Now you are figuring out the secret of why the big guns have high antennas--
it is a way to reduce QRM.  But a single high antenna will still have some
high angle lobes.  The real secret is stacking--when done correctly it
can greatly reduce the high angle lobes and let you look "under" the stateside
QRM and see the low angle DX.

73  John  W0UN