[TowerTalk] Wxproofing Connectors

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wxproofing Connectors
From: (Jim Pratt)
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 15:48:04 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 14 May 1997 wrote:

>     As far as an N-type connector, it (unlike a PL-259) has a rubber gasket
> and is designed to be mostly waterproof (unlike a PL-259).

I prefer the phrase "water resistant" as opposed to "water proof".

> approach. BTW, you'll never see a commercial joint that ISN'T totally
> weatherproofed.

I beg to differ.  Andrew, the maker of heliax, used to say their N
connectors didn't need any additional WXproofing.  I think we all knew
better, and it was interesting to see them recently come out with a
WXproofing device that looks like a BY-finger toy.  But I have seen many
a commercial installation without tape, etc., and they DO work.

In fact on the roof of my office building, there are some bare N male
connectors that have been in place for close to 10 years, and you can
unscrew them and see they are still shiny and dry inside.  I would never
install a connector without some form of WXproofing, but the gaskets do
work wonders! sure to use an N male connector with a CAPTIVE PIN, like an
Amphenol 82-3312.  Otherwise, the pin will likely pull out of the socket
over time, as people have attested to here on the reflector.  Many
"bargain connectors" you get at stores and/or flea markets ain't no
bargain when the center pin pulls away after time...

Jim  N6IG