[TowerTalk] Orion--the final word

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Orion--the final word
From: crb@nanoteq.com (Chris R. Burger)
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 19:59:25 +200
A few weeks ago, I asked about Orion rotators, and the requirements
for fancy cabling.  A new Orion owner told me that the factory
recommended two shielded #22 conductors for the pickup circuits, and
three heavier conductors for the motor.

I posted a question, soliciting experiences with these rotors.

Feedback:

*  Several were using runs up to 500' without problems, using
   standard multi-core cables.  In some instances, Belden 8 core
   rotator cable was being used, with pairs carrying the heavier
   current (i.e. two cores for pickup, 2 x 3 cores for motor drive).

*  One reported AC pickup problems while using an A/D converter to
   read the position off a HyGain rotator (in a homebrew controller).
   The solution was an active low pass filter.

*  Several reported problems with moisture in the connector, which
   caused major indicator problems.  Apparently, even minor
   condensation in the connector up on the tower would cause wildly
   erratic readings.

While I have not seen the manual for the OR2800P, I believe that the
positioning system actually uses a pulsing encoder with a counter
(rather than an analogue system).  If that is true, the A/D converter
problem should not be relevant to the Orion.  The moisture in the
connector could cause trouble, as a very high impedance circuit like
that would require very little leakage to get confused.

I just got off the phone to Mike Staal, one of the Ms of M-Squared
(and formerly the M in KLM) and the technical driving force behind
the company.  He says:

The pickup problem is definitely only a problem on very long runs
(over 300').  The problem is with counting pulses (on the position
indicator) being coupled back into the counter circuit.

Solution:  Use a single coaxial cable for the pickup.  The cable
carries around 100 uA, so its conductor guage is not critical.  The
mechanical manageability of having a surviveable cable in the duct
will probably dictate the dimensions.  Suitable solutions include
RG58 and audio cable (the very thin stuff, around 1 mm diameter).

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ

PS:  For those with traditional values, 1 mm = 13/331", or 27/686"
in round figures.

PPS:  Yes, I know how the Ancient system works.  You might even 5/128"
if that is more comfortable to you, or even 1/32" if that is close
enough.

PPPS:  Yes, that is my idea of a joke.