[TowerTalk] Hy-Gain T2X Tailtwister rotor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain T2X Tailtwister rotor
From: twoway@scoden.ma.ultranet.com (Scott Bullock)
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 22:00:43 -0400 (EDT)
Hi All,
I'm in need of some advice from all you rotor gurus out there. Last weekend
at the Hosstraders Flea Market, I bought a used T2X with control box for
$110.00-only drawback was that I had to go take the rotor down.
Weeeeeeellll, today I went and took it down-after breaking 3 out of the four
bolts holding it to the rotor plate (spelled shearing off with brute force),
I got it home, took it all apart and found that it had been filled with
water at one point (about 2" judging from what I could tell). The location
was right on the ocean, so it was in a salt water environment.

As best as I can tell, this is what it needs.
Lower bearings (rusted), Lower casting (broken bolts), potentiometer (almost
completely worn out), Terminal strip (severely corroded), complete rewiring
(all wiring completely corroded off inside of term strip), and maybe a brake
solenoid (looks ok, not corroded, but judging from level of water mark, it
was under water too).

In all of your opinions, is this worth fixing-either myself by purchasing
the parts, or sending to The Rotor Doctor, etc?? Besides the broken bolts in
the bottom casting which now needs to be replaced, it looks good
inside-bearings in upper section look OK, the races are still greased, no
apparent wear on the gears/no broken teeth, etc.

Thought I had made the deal of the century, the guy even told me that it
worked fine, haha. The only way this could have worked in the past few years
was turning it with mental telepathy!  :)

I really would like to hear some opinions from the group if this would
really be worth it. Planned on using it on my new tower to turn TH-7DX
antenna, but also have a HAM-M that I could use too. Just wanted a little
bit of extra load factor built in with the T2X.

Thanks all in advance, and good dx to all,
Scott
KA1CLX