[Top] [All Lists]

[TowerTalk] Is this pipe or mast?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Is this pipe or mast?
From: (
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 02:33:19 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-05-24 23:58:23 EDT, you write:

>   I ordered a 20 foot stick of  2 inch, .250 wall, > 70,000 psi
>  for use as a mast. The 2 inch spec was o.d.   
>    What I received was  1 1/2 inch i.d., .200 wall, 70,000 psi.....the o.d.
>  is about 1 7/8 inches.  

Hi, Lynn --

      Yes, it sounds like pipe instead of tubing. Inch and a half water pipe
is typically 1.9 inch OD so that sounds like pipe. Also, the 70K psi rating
is not available for pipe that I've seen so now I'm really confused.
>    Now , can I trust the guy who sold it to me when he says it 70,000 psi?
>  It sure looks like 1 1/2 galvanized water pipe to me, but with .200 wall.
>  Probably called schedule 80.  
     Structural pipe usually has some ASTM number on the side. It can some
good strength if it's the right one.
>    Do any of you pipe experts know for sure?  It has no numbers on it which
>  match those in the M. A. R. C. program.

     What does your receipt say you bought? Call the supplier back and get
the EXACT information from them regarding your piece of steel. If they don't
know, tell them you want to return it for the stuff you ordered.

     BTW, the MARC program doesn't have EVERY pipe or tubing nomenclature.
What does it say on the side of the pipe or tube of interest?
>   I want to put a 2 element 40, 10 feet above the top of the tower.

    I get a figure of 13,293 in-lbs for the mast bending moment with a
recommendation of 46K psi yield strength and 0.120 inch wall. Structural high
strength pipe has that yield strength so might just make it. Find out what
you've got first. 
73 and GL,  Steve   K7LXC

FAQ on WWW:     
Administrative requests:

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • [TowerTalk] Is this pipe or mast?, <=