[TowerTalk] More antenna woes!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] More antenna woes!
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 11:13:56 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-05-26 13:52:06 EDT, csudds@probe.net (Chuck Sudds)
writes:

>  Yesterday was a fine day for antenna work so me and a couple friends
decided
>  to reposition the antenna to the proper heading. While inspecting the
tower
>  on the way up, we found that THREE of the X-braces had rivits that had
>  sheared off and one X-brace had actually broke in half right up near the
>  rotor shelf!! Luckily, the tower is installed with the tilt-over base and
>  this is the way I plan to disassemble the whole mess as it is NOT safe to
>  climb in it's current condition!

     Yikes! Good thing you found the problems when you did or results
could've been worse. Now you understand why the factory specs the BX tower
like it does ("maximum ten foot boom"). The stresses can be significant.

    If the tower otherwise is in good shape and repairing it will put it back
into service, that would be one course of action. Sounds like you've lost
some confidence in it's reliability though (understandable).

>  I plan to replace the top two sections (the rest of the tower is in
>  excellent shape) and reinstall the T2X rotor and shelf at about the 16ft
>  level of the tower or possibly even lower, where the torque will be
>  distributed to a MUCH stronger section of the tower, and using a LONG mast
>  to rotate the antenna through the thrust bearing.

    Good plan.

>  Does anybody know where I can purchase only the top two sections of the
>  HDBX48 tower??  Any other hints that I should consider before putting this
>  tower back up?

     The BX-3 and BX-4 (all BX sections actually) are available from a Rohn
dealer. No one that I know of stocks them but they could add them to their
next order. MSR for the BX-3 is $82.00 and the BX-4 is $99.00.

     Any other hints? Cross your fingers?

73,  Steve  K7LXC

    TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies for amateurs